MAP OF THE VINEYARDS
MONUMENT TO THE CHILDREN OF "99
Not far from the church of Santa Croce del Montello, among cypress groves up towards the spine of the Montello (the road known as the Dorsale) we find a monument dedicated to the Children of ’99, the 18-year-olds called to arms at the end of 1917. Much post-war rhetoric about the conflict is owed to this generation. The nearby bell tower rings each hour with the notes of the song the “Leggenda del Piave”, the most famous and moving song from the First World War.
SACRARIO DEL MONTELLO
Designed by the architect Felice Non from Rome, the Sacrario was completed in 1935. It is located at Colesel delle Zorle about two kilometres from Nervesa della Battaglia. It holds the remains of 9,325 soldiers, only 6,099 of whom are identified.
THE ABBEY OF SANT’EUSTACHIO
Founded in the 11th Century in the hills above Nervesa, the abbey of Sant’Eustachio became the centre of an important Cassinese Benedictine monastery. Many illustrious guests visited the abbey including Monsignor Della Casa, author of the celebrated book on good manners called “Il Galateo”.
MONUMENT TO MAJOR FRANCESCO BARACCA
Nervesa della Battaglia. Designed by Domenico Rambelli the monument was inaugurated in 1936 in the presence of the Duca d’Aosta and the highest ranking officers in the regime. Next to the bronze statue the monument rises with a sculpted prancing horse, a symbol subsequently donated by Francesco Baracca’s mother to Enzo Ferrari for the famous Maranello scuderia.
BRITISH WAR CEMETERY
Located in Giavera del Montello where the Austrian offensive of 1918 took place, an operation that took many allied lives. The cemetery holds 417 symmetrically arranged marble stars all of the same size and is a moving place to sit and contemplate the sacrifices made.
THE KING’S OBSERVATORY
Crocetta del Montello – This is the observatory where Italian King Vittorio Emanuele watched the final battle of the Great War. The observatory is made up of two small, low buildings connected by a corridor. The structures are made from cement with armoured plating and a beamed ceiling.